When we bought our Futura Pressure Cooker, it came with an instruction manual that included a number of recipes.
The dishes we have prepared thus far have all been a success.
One dish, which meanwhile has been considered a success among overlanders, is this cauliflower dish. So let me share it with you here.
As an overlander you depend on what ingredients you can find on the road, which requires improvising at some point in time. Just play with what you can find.
Before we had a hand blender, we chopped up the ingredients as much as possible. It is not the same as a smooth paste, obviously, but it did the job.
Masala Gobi (Spicy Cauliflower)
This has become our general version of the recipe (in brackets what is in the original recipe):
- 1 cauliflower;
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds (recipe: poppy seeds);
- 2 tablespoons of peanuts (recipe: cashew nuts; tastier but harder to get);
- a short piece of ginger.
- a couple of flakes of garlic.
- 2 green chilies.
- 2 onions.
- 2 tomatoes.
- ½ teaspoon turmeric.
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder.
- ½ teaspoon cumin.
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder.
- ½ cup of coconut milk (curd)
- Soak a cauliflower for about half an hour in 6 cups of water with 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Grind sesame seeds and peanuts into a paste, adding 3 tablespoons of water.
- Grind the ginger, garlic, and 2 green chilies into a paste.
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker and fry 2 chopped onions.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste.
- Add 2 peeled and chopped tomatoes.
- Add the turmeric, coriander powder, cumin, and red chili powder.
- Mix well, cook the tomatoes pulpy.
- Add the coconut milk (curd), a little bit at the time and stir-fry until the oil shows separately.
- Add the cauliflower, fry on all sides with the masala.
- Add ½ cup water.
- Close cooker and bring to full pressure and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Open cooker.
- Stir in sesame seeds and peanuts (poppy seeds and cashew nuts).
- Serve with rice.
Of course this works with other vegetables as well, e.g. broccoli.
It’s not the best food photo we took, but it is much tastier than it looks. Promise!
Enjoy your meal.
Read More: Pressure Cooker 101
The Cooking Equipment Used:
Find the Instruction Manual of the Futura Hawkins with Recipes here.
Buy a unique sticker or another goodie, all designed by Coen, and help to keep this website going and sharing the inspiring vibes of overlanding.