We have another one for you, one that also has been enthusiastically picked up by fellow overlanders: our oatmeal breakfast.
There is nothing new in eating oatmeal, of course, a product that has been around since, ‘forever’. Adding banana, or
Read More: Are you Nuts? Bake your Own Bread
Our Oatmeal Breakfast – What’s so Good about It?
But here’s our magic mix that gives it the touch that you simply don’t grow tired of it quickly – at least we haven’t, it has been our staple breakfast for years now: cook the fruits with the oatmeal.
Taste is not the only thing that oatmeal has become our favorite breakfast.
Oatmeal is easy to carry on your overland journey, as are nuts and seeds. Fruits like apple and banana need to be fresh and can’t be carried for too long of a time before going bad (depending on climate), but both fruits can be bought pretty much anywhere in the world.
The combi of all this makes our oatmeal breakfast a favorite dish in our food repertoire on the road.
Oatmeal Breakfast Recipe (2 persons)
- 150-200 grams of oatmeal
- Water: 1,5 the amount of oatmeal used (so 1 cup of oatmeal = 1,5 cup of water)
- 1 banana (the browner and softer, the better)
- ½ – 1 apple
- A handful of nuts and seeds. E.g.almonds or walnuts & sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
- A handful of raisins
- Extras: chia seed, maca powder, other superfood powders
- For the topping: e.g. pollen, cacao nibs
As always, we don’t work with fixed recipes. These are just indications and ideas. I love red fruit in my oatmeal and in Russia and Central Asia is easy to get (esp. frozen). Nuts, seeds, and extras/toppings simply all depend on availability.
So let’s split it up in Essentials and Optional.
Preparation – the Essentials
- Put water in the pan and add the raisins so they can soak a bit.
- Add banana in small slices and apple in pieces.
- Add the cinnamon.
- Bring to boil.
- Meanwhile cut the nuts.
- When the water is, add the oatmeal and nuts little by
littlewhile stirring to prevent getting thick chunks.
- Turn off the heat, let it sit for at least 5 minutes – preferably more – so the food soaks all the water.
Preparation – Optional
- When cutting the banana, also cut the apple and add
atthe same time.
- With the fruit, add a handful of red fruits.
- With the nuts, also add seeds, chia/maca/other superfood powders.
- When the oatmeal is ready, top with cacao nibs or a teaspoon of pollen.
Enjoy your meal!
Tips, Suggestions, Feedback?
Do you have a favorite breakfast dish you’d like to share? Feel free to do so in the comment section below!
Check it out: Our New ‘Ga op Avontuur’ (Have an Adventure) Collection
Get the News
Would you like to stay in the loop on all things Landcruising Adventure?
Sign up for our newsletter and get the latest news
No spam, rare enough so as not to annoy, and easy to unsubscribe from.